The Isle of May lives at the mouth of the Firth of the Forth, 5 miles from the Fife mainland and 11 miles from East Lothian. The Isle of May light beacon is a scheduled ancient monument located on the Isle. Dating from circa 1636, it is the earliest purpose-built lighthouse in Scotland and thought to be one of the oldest extant structures in the world. Zenith Property Conservation were awarded the contract to carry out extensive repairs to the building facade.
The overall works included masonry repairs, re-harling, the application of limewash, replacement of defective joinery and the careful conservation of the armorial panel above the entrance door.
Remote island location – all plant, equipment and materials were transported to the island by helicopter.
Extreme coastal weather conditions – the entire scaffolding was wrapped with Monarflex to protect the surfaces from wet weather.
Scope of Works